Cal Zero Waste
Cal Zero Waste has a program to help you recycle all paper and cardboard that you may not want to move.
Phone 643-4612 to receive extra recycling bins or additional recycling details. The Cal Zero Waste website provides other helpful hints.
UC Berkeley Surplus
UC Surplus will pick up small amounts of furniture and equipment at no cost.
A rule of thumb: The amount must not be more than one mover can move in 30 minutes and cannot require items to be stair carried.
Please note - The following equipment requires special handling:
- Inventorial items must be submitted for disposal through BETS
- Refrigerator disposal requires an additional charge for Freon removal. Visit Refrigerator Disposal
- The movers and Overstock and Surplus will not handle items with a radioactive or biohazard label unless they have decontamination certification from Environment Health and Safety (EH&S).
- Monitors that are visibly cracked, broken or showing tubes are considered Hazardous Material. Contact EH&S for disposal as UC Surplus will not take them.
- Computers must prepared per the instructions for Computer Equipment Disposal before being sent to UC Surplus.
- Items that cannot be sold or recycled by UC Surplus, such as broken wooden furniture, will be processed as follows:
Broken wooden furniture will be recycled through a coordination with Cal Zero Waste. Garbage will be disposed of and you will be charged fees based on volume - all charges will be included with your moving bill.
Please visit the UC Surplus operation's website for more detailed disposal guidelines.