It is the responsibility of the departmental equipment custodian working in concert with the principal investigator to submit an Equipment Inventory Modification Request (EIMR) using the Berkeley Equipment Tracking System (BETS) notifying Equipment Management of "the intent to dispose of Government Property" prior to the actual disposal of the government owned equipment.
- Campus department will submit an EIMR in BETS stating their "intent" to dispose of Government Property through Excess & Surplus
- Campus Department will send equipment to Excess & Surplus
- Government Property will be held in a secure staging area, awaiting agency disposition instructions
- Contract/Grant Specialist will check for title and communicate with the sponsoring agency for disposition instructions
- When disposition instructions have been received from the sponsoring agency, Excess & Surplus will be provided with the approval to sell or dispose of equipment
- If the agency recalls the equipment, shipping instructions will be provided by the sponsoring agency. These shipping instructions will be communicated to Excess & Surplus
- If a Government Bill of Lading (GBL) is forwarded to Equipment Management, the Government is bearing the shipping costs
- If the Sponsor intends for UCB to bear the shipping costs, Excess & Surplus will provide packaging materials, shipping costs, and charge the appropriate campus department
- If the Sponsor transfers title of equipment to UCB, custody of the equipment will be transferred to the Excess & Surplus custody code.